Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Intersection of Beauty, Fear, and Color

In western Uganda there is a refugee camp where those fleeing the turmoil in eastern Congo have fled, located about 40 miles west of Hoima. I couldn't resist taking this shot of a young girl carrying her young baby.  Typically I don't take the portrait style snapshots, because I see it as exploitative.  She graciously gave me permission.  I think the shot captures the fear, determination and overall dignity of this people who simply want to live in peace on their lands, but for the militias patrolling the areas, seizing mining areas for foreign interests.

1 comment:

  1. Today am teaching about conflict over natural resources. Thank you for the reminder of the human cost. I hope it is okay to print the picture and show it to some 6th graders.

    ReplyDelete